Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Wide Angle vs. Semi Telephoto

A few years ago, I started with photography as a hobby. I was still confused about how does the lens affects the image. Over time i learned that the lens you chose is much more important than the body you chose.
I discovered that lenses play a big role on perspective, among many other things that i wont discuss in this post. More precisely, the focal length you chose with your lens.
When i was practicing the techniques of photography, I tried to shoot the same subjects from different distances and different focal lengths in order to see what would be the difference.
I took two shots, one at 18 mm and one at 55 mm with the lens that came with my Canon T1i which is the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6. And now that I'm looking back at my pictures I decided to compare the two shots and make some notes on them. The differences aren't obvious because the choice of subject and background was not perfect for educational purposes but it's good enough.
Here are the main differences:
  •  Background & Foreground visibility
  • Depth of field
  • Bokah level
  • Horizon compression/stretching
  • Distortion level
Here is the picture

No comments:

Post a Comment